Thursday, January 3, 2008

Bizarre Occurrence & Patience



I have 2 things to blog about today.

Bizarre Occurrence: The first is a little thing that happened yesterday when I went home for lunch. The back story is that my parents had sent us a very sweet gift for the baby - a giraffe rocker (photo on left is of my little cousin, Joey, jumping off of it a few weeks ago). Well, this rocker is supposed to play 4 songs when you press these colorful buttons on the back of its head. Since we received it a few weeks ago, we've only been able to get it to play 2 of the 4 songs, and that is with a lot of effort to push around those 'buttons' to get them to play. Even my dad who was in town for a night on Tuesday and can fix just about anything, had a hard time getting it to work.

So I'm sitting on the couch with George (dog) yesterday afternoon, looking at photos of a friend's baby that she had just sent, and admittedly longing for the day that we will have our baby to love. And all the sudden, from the OTHER room, for no rhyme or reason, one of the songs starts playing from the giraffe - the ABC song. It was just too strange and it kind of freaked me out. It played the song through once, and then stopped. I looked over to make sure George was there and he hadn't triggered it somehow, and sure enough he was right there next to me. Then I creeped (because I'm afraid of ghosts or strange people in my house) into the other room to find the giraffe sitting next to the Christmas tree, just like we'd left it, with nothing changed. No branches fallen from the tree, nothing tipped over, not a thing different. And all was quiet again.

Some, like my husband, will say it was just a random malfunction - not a sign or anything. I'm sure they (he) is right. But then again, what if it was? What if this was the moment that they matched us with our child, or our child was taken to the orphanage to spare his/her life, or in some cosmic sense, the connection was made? It's all such a mystery to me, and I'm not sure what to make of it, but I'll tell you - it sure felt weird.

Patience: Just a little note on patience. I've been thinking a lot on this lately for some reason. I have honestly been told often and by several different people that I'm one of the most impatient people ever, and on the flip side that I have the patience of a saint. It's a little strange, but the more I think about it, I think both are true. It just depends on the situation. I'm a chameleon that way.

I actually feel pretty patient about this all-important holding pattern that we are in right now. Of course, I long to see our baby and meet our baby and hold our baby and have our family, but at the same time, I know that there are people out there working very hard to make sure that we are matched with the right little one and that it will all happen in good time and when the time is right. And who knows - maybe that time was yesterday! :)

But seriously folks, we are not anxious or jittery at this present time. We know as the time inches along, we may become more impatient but we are hoping to hold on to our zen demeanors and just enjoy the ride. All we can do is hope and pray that our baby is safe and his/her family is not suffering and look forward to the excitement of that very special call and all the amazing moments that will follow. So that's where we are!

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

freaky. what if that was the moment that your baby was matched up with you guys!!?? I can't wait to see if there is some significance!!

Unknown said...

Sister, I am not sure if there is a significance, but I will not rull it out! I really can't wait to meet my little neice or nephew! Keep blogging! :)

Lori said...

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. The outpouring of support has been a lifeline.

Kimberly Baggett said...

I am so glad to find your blog! Patience is definitely something that is a blessing during this rollercoaster ride of adoption! Glad to be in this journey together!